June 21, 2007

Web 2.0

It had to come at one point…with my love of technology I have to highlight this interesting event. For those of you who have been living in a cave (or un-connected), the world is changing faster than you can get the information in. In this vein, Webware (by Cnet) is a website I frequent that tells me about all the cool apps on the internet that may not be that mainstream as yet. Recently they conducted a poll of over 450K votes for the top 100 Web 2.0 products (10 in each of the 10 categories) over a 20 day period. I remember when this was first begun, because they asked users to nominate websites then they held the poll on each category.

The categories range from Browsing (Firefox, Opera, Netvibes, etc.) and Communication (AIM, GTalk, GrandCentral, etc.) to Productive/Commerce (Blinksale, Paypal, Google Docs & Spreadsheets, etc.) and Reference (WebMD, Wikipedia, Geni, etc.). I could easily just list all these links on this page, but it is easier to list the host! If you notice, some of these sites now list this achievement on their front page. See how web 2.0 is changing our lives. Before someone might have had to hold a conference, take the poll, and then have an awards ceremony. Now, you go online, cast your vote and they publish the winner. Doesn’t take much away from the award because you still won! Just saves money on plane tickets I think…click the link below and learn a new product. Come out of the cave and join the population! As a side note, I picked at least one winner in every category…I’m so plugged in!

WebWare Best 100 Web 2.0

Now I do not want to leave anyone behind. Below you will find 2 embedded videos explaining Web 2.0. The first video is more informational. For those of you who are technical and like just knowing about things, you will probably enjoy both videos. Those of you who are just on the web to surf and not interested in all the delineation, just go to the 2nd video. The 2nd video runs more along the lines of a music video explaining web 2.0. Very cool, it has over 2.5 Million views…worth the 4:31!

*Neither video was edited by me. The 2 videos above are to be treated as links within my blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the when to buy tickets link. Very helpful!!!!!